The days are getting longer, and the weather is getting warmer – it is finally time to begin preparing your Union City rental home for spring! As a renter, knowing what you can do to establish your home for the warmer months ahead is important. In this blog post, we will provide 10 tips to assist you to prepare your rental property for spring. Continue reading to learn more!
- Check for leaks and water damage. Will this season brings us rain this year, spring is the ideal time to check your home thoroughly for water leaks and damage. Look around the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry room for any symptoms of dampness or discoloration on the walls, floors, and ceilings. It’s likewise helpful to check your faucet, inside vanity cabinets, and throughout the base of each toilet. If you discover evidence of a leak, contact your Union City property manager right away.
- Clean the window screens. Dust, pollen, and other airborne particles can easily gather on window screens, so spring is a great time to scrub them deeply. Immediately start by removing any screens and wiping down the windowsills with a damp cloth. Rinse the screens with a garden hose and allow them to dry before replacing them in the windows. Just make certain to clean only the screens you can reach safely.
- Test and service your HVAC system: Before when summer hits, it’s important to test and service your rental property’s air conditioning and heating systems. A good landlord will schedule regular HVAC maintenance for you, but if yours doesn’t, now is the time to ask! Regular HVAC maintenance will help ensure that your rental home is kept at the perfect temperature during the changing months of spring and summer.
- Check for pest damage: As temperatures are beginning to warm up, you’ll want to look for signs of any unwanted pests entering your rental home. Inspect windows, doors, vents, and other openings for any signs of small holes or gaps, since they can provide easy access for bugs and rodents. If you find any, contact your property manager right away.
- Plant some flowers: Add a splash of color to the exterior of your rental home this spring by planting some flowers! Think about what types of flowers will be most appropriate for the rental property’s current climate and soil type, and research which flowers are best to keep away from common pests. Then, create a colorful display of your favorites to help give your home a taste of spring.
- Replace smoke detector batteries: Check all the smoke detectors around your rental property – spring is a great time to replace any old batteries if needed. This helps guarantee your rental home is always safe in a fire emergency. If this is a job your landlord typically takes care of, remind them to schedule it!
- Clean out closets and drawers: With winter ending, it is time for you to ease up on those heavy layers! Now is the ideal opportunity to take inventory of what you own and donate or recycle anything that you don’t need anymore. If you haven’t worn something in at least a year, it may be time to donate it.
- Clear debris from patios and decks: Winter can be hard on rental property’s outdoor spaces. Clear away any fallen leaves, twigs, branches, and other trash from your rental home’s patios and decks for a clean look in the spring.
- Clean sliding window and door tracks. If you have some sliding windows or doors in your rental home, spring is an ideal time to give the tracks they glide on a good clean. During winter, dust, and grime can build up in window and door tracks, creating poor functionality. To keep everything running smoothly, use a damp cloth and a small brush to remove dirt and debris from the tracks. Then use a vacuum or compressed air to get into the tight spaces. If your rental home’s sliding windows and doors seem to be trapped, put on a light lubricant to the tracks.
- Check lighting fixtures: Spring is a great time to inspect all of your home’s light fixtures and replace any broken bulbs or burnt-out lights. Take into account switching out any old-fashioned bulbs for LED ones – they’re more efficient and last longer, cutting down on electricity costs!
By following these 10 tips, you’ll soon be ready for the warmer months ahead. But in every season, keep up with regular maintenance to keep your rental home beautiful and comfortable all year round.
Contact Real Property Management Masters to learn more about quality rental listings in Union City.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.